The Sherman Township farm saw yet another change in the thirties. The Ci-
vilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was a New Deal agency which put unemployed
youth and war veterans to work by helping farmers use their land and water re-
sources to reduce loss by flood and erosion. Administrators of CCC drove by the
Grotelueschen farm, saw the artesian well, checked on its long and steady water
production record, and straightway located a camp, called Camp Platte, on a tract
of land south of the farm place on October 2, 1934.
During the six years and nine months that Company 1782-B remained at
Camp Platte, the average enrollment of men was 400. The camp was one of the fin-
est in the middle west. Company officials said that the artesian well was a big fac-
tor in maintaining an exceptionally fine health record for the thousands of middle
aged veterans enrolled in the camp. The company moved to Blair, Nebraska, on
June 30, 1941, and Camp Platte became a memory. Camp foundations and two
camp buildings still remain along with the windbreaks and vegetation planted
throughout the Platte area by the residents of Camp Platte.
Adolph was a survivor. He survived the elements as a baby, the loss of two
wives, the depression, and the loss of material assets in the closing of the bank. Al-
though Adolph had losses, he also had many gains. As the well continued to flow,
Adolph also felt his blessings pouring out in abundance. He saw none of his ten
children die before him. He was proud that four of his children were college gradu-
ates. Three of the four sons who earned college degrees (Paul, Elmer, and Nor-
man) entered into the preaching and teaching ministry in his beloved faith, the Lu-
theran Church, Missouri Synod. Roland, the fourth son who obtained a college de-
gree, obtained his degree from the University of Nebraska on a G. I. scholarship af-
ter fighting in the U. S. Army in World War II for 38 months. Adolph saw three other
sons (Art, Ernest, and Harold) carry on the tradition of farming on the homestead
land where he was born and on the land he acquired during the years. He saw his
three daughters (Clara, Louise, and Elva) marry respected men in the community.
Adolph counted his biggest blessing that all ten children were strong in their faith
and practiced their belief faithfully wherever they settled.