Adolph had livestock raising interests, handling shorthorn cattle, Percheron
horses, and Poland China hogs. Livestock is still a branch of business that is prov-
ing very profitable on the Sherman Township farm. Currently, Adolphs grandson,
Grant finishes from 1,200 to 1,400 hogs annually on the farm. He also raises
calves, which he feeds out for the cattle market.
Adolph was a Democrat in his political views, having supported the party
since he was of voting age. He filled the offices of township clerk and justice of the
peace and made an excellent record as a public official in Platte County.
In 1925 Adolph purchased a 40 acre farm one mile north of Columbus. Ad-
olph and his family moved to this small farm, which he farmed with a team of
horses. He milked cows, sold milk, and raised hogs and chickens on this farm. Ad-
olph and his family joined a new church home, Immanuel Lutheran, in Columbus.
Art and Ernest continued to live at the farm place in Sherman Township until Ernest
married and brought his bride to live there in 1927. Art moved to the homestead
farm and farmed this land which he rented from his uncle Otto Grotelueschen.
Illness and the Great Depression of the 30s affected the Grotelueschens.
Farming was unprofitable when the rains ceased and Nebraska turned into a dust
bowl. Grasshoppers and blowing dust were abundant, while money was scarce.
Banks began to close. Adolph was a stockholder in the Commercial National Bank
at Columbus. In order to fulfill his obligations to the stockholders, Adolph turned
over the Sherman Township farm to Art and Ernest so they would fulfill his obliga-
tion to the bank and also maintain his farm land on the site near Columbus.
Ernests wife, Irene, became very ill with kidney disease, so Harold was placed on
the Sherman Township farm while Ernest attended to Irene, who had to go to an
Omaha hospital for care. After Irenes death in 1931, Harold stayed on the farm
and eventually bought into partnership with Ernest.
Home of the Adolph Grotelueschen family
(on 40 acre farm just north of Columbus)